Sunday, July 5, 2015

Why I Didn't Want to Write Much

Most of the entries posted on my blog are quotes or excerpt from others.  I myself rarely contribute anything that seems completely original.  There are some reasons for that behavior pattern of mine.
 
Why do I have to write when many of my thoughts and ideas seem to have been well articulated and even thoroughly discussed somewhere at some point of time, either in black and white, in the cloud or on the Internet?  It will be redundant for me to add what has already been said or published.  Besides, the majority like to trust ideas and opinions from those who are internationally well known and highly respected, and those who have true expertise and authority.  With age, and the more I read and study, the more I feel I am dwindling into no more than a little child.  Isaac Newton said he, too, felt like a child strolling along the beach, collecting pebbles.  The vast ocean, like the vast physical and virtual universes, is awaiting for us to discover.  It is just patience and perseverance and a matter of time to hit the mega find.  A treasure is always somewhere for us to see and to select.  There is almost nothing new or mysterious.  Everything is there, just learn to look for it.  You will be a skillful discoverer.

Another reason is more subtle.  I don't want to use the Internet as a platform to attract public attention to the "I" in my blog.  My blog should be viewed like a notice board, or a reminder for all.  I view the Internet as an easy, familiar but malicious source to inflate or deflate the ego balloon and anything or anyone related to it.  I am a Buddhist, and No Self is one of the fundamental Buddhist concepts in mind training.  When you talk with a Buddhist, whether a Zen master, a monk, a nun, or a Buddhist lay householder, you may test and sense the person's perception and expression of his/her "self" or "ego." It is extremely subtle.  A true Buddhist follower has no self.  You simply cannot find it (the "self") in his/her thoughts, words, and deeds.  Read the 14th Dalai Lama's speech when he accepted the Nobel prize, and you will see.

Finally, the truth is everything changes, even though what has been posted on the Internet so far appears to remain permanent.  Many years from now, I hope, with hindsight I won't have to regret for what I have already posted --no regret whatsoever, simply because I left almost no personal trace.