Monday, September 5, 2011

Memories

We usually cherish memories, sweet ones as well as bitter ones. Sometimes memories help us understand ourselves and others better. Each past image or event has its own history, and it evokes a chain of other images and events. All evolve, each in its own way.

Last August I had a chance to visit some old people and places, and noticed dramatic life changes. Some will definitely have lasting emotional impacts on me, I'm sure. I don't want to dwell in the past, nor in past memories, but I should say I have discovered and learned a lot from my one-week visit to the people and the places that I have been related to at some point during my lifetime.

I had to admit that I felt estranged most of the time. There was no place for me where I used to be. I felt like an alien among some familiar faces. Although some of them were very nice, I didn't think I could share all my thoughts and feelings with them easily. Some sense of loss, sadness, and helpless made me numb.

I cannot expect much from what I have left behind. It's all gone, or replaced, and I know that it is the natural way of life. Yes, each life must go on its own course.